Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A test on the test...

I can name several vices that the PSSA test brings to education. Today, I will discuss the one that is popping up in my son's Seventh grade English and Math class. I should preface this blog by telling you that, historically, my son does not do well on the PSSA test. However, with certain supports, his grades in school are good. "At least he has good grades," I always think when I look at yet another year of PSSA test scores. Well, I can kiss that comforting thought good-bye because this year the teachers decided to give "sample" PSSA tests and use them for grading purposes. Basically, the students are being tested on the Test! (Note that I have capitalized the word "Test". No, it is not really a proper noun, but it seems to be taking on a life of its own, so I thought it was the appropriate thing to do. Someone call Webster's-we've got a new word here!) Back to testing on the test. Is it not enough that we have set children up to fail on the test? Must we also have them fail in their grades thereby causing their future to be that much more dim? As if devoting six weeks to PSSA test preparation isn't problematic enough, let's throw salt on the wound and make the prep part of the grade. Students should be learning concepts, the interrelationship of those concepts, and the practical usage of them. To use a standardized test such as the PSSA to teach and grade is a travesty of the spirit of education, a waste of tax dollars, and is disrespectful to the diverse needs and learning styles of our students.

No comments: