Wednesday, April 9, 2008

PSSA Is Finally Over!

Yeah! My son finished his PSSA test and I feel like dancing! I am not sure how he did on the test. The teacher said that he really did not feel like working on it the first day and was rather lethargic about the whole thing. The second and third day went a little better particularly in the Math portion of the test.



He is very glad to be finished with the PSSA prep booklets and vocabulary. In his words, "We get to go back to our regular (textbooks) books now." He is sooo right. Putting off learning the "normal" curriculum to make time for the PSSA prep should not occur. After all, if the students are learning what they are supposed to learn, why do we need the PSSA prep?



I know, I know...too much at stake, too many students needs the drills to "pass". etc. However, if we just drill the PSSA test for six weeks, the results the PSSA gives are actually distorted. It is really just cramming. There are no follow up tests to see if the student retains this information.
What a sham! I am glad it is over for this year anyway!

No comments: